Startup error & fail to completely uninstall

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM
Hi,

This is a great addin.

I experience an error (something like object...error... I don't exactly remember). It may be due to the activesync that I'm running to sync my PDA. It's only when the computer first startup. If I close the outlook completely in task manager & relaunch it, it seems okay.

And, due to the error, I'd like to remove the plugin for now. But it leaves the OAR Addin in outlook. It'd be more appreciable if it can also be removed too.

Thanks a lot!

Campion
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Hello,

Thanks a lot for reporting this. You can completely remove the addin with the information mentioned @ http://oar.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=1209

But I would really appreciate if you can work with me (basically help me) in identifying the root cause and help in fixing it. Will wait for your reply.
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM
Sure. Of course. This is a great plugin that I want to keep using if not the bug.

I think I can reproduce it. Let me know what I need to do:)
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:31 PM
Hello,

Thanks a lot. Your co-operation will play a role in making this a better product. I would request you to do the following..

1) Go to the System directory. If this is 64 bit windows then go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. If this is 32 bit windows, then go to C:\Windows\System32 and delete all the files related to OAR addin. THey would be of the name OARXXXXX.txt and OARXXXXX.log

Install the Addin and try to reproduce the issue. I would like you to document step by step each thing you do to reproduce the problem. Once the problem appears you can use the OARAddin menu to fetch the OARDiag0970.log. Copy the messages there and send it to me.

Once I get I would know in which section, i get this issue. Once I know that, i can give you a custom patch which will have additional logging to find the exact place of code where the problem is happenning.

Thanks a lot in advance. You can send the file to me directly at das.vicky@gmail.com
Mar 24, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Done.
Emailed to the above address. I tried to document my steps as detailed as possible. Hope it helps.

Campion
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Thanks a lot for the help you provided. I have got the files and I have the idea why this is happenning. As soon as I get some time, I will make changes and first send it to you for testing.

Moving this as a work item.
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Mar 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM
Glad to know. Please keep me posted.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM

The "erroneous" message that we saw infact was not impacting anything else. It occurs when we have outlook running but we do not have the Outlook window, hence a call to Application.ActiveExplorer() returns null. I have modified the code, so each time OUtlook starts without user interface it will prompt a better (less scary) message. Please note, that this is not an problem and doesnt "screw-up" anything else.

In final builds, I might remove the "informative" prompt completely.

I would request you to try installing this new version (0.9.7.3) and work with it. Let me know if you have any concerns with the new build.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:26 AM
Thanks.

It seems that everything behaves the same as the last version - same error reproduced in the condition I described, which is:
1. Error prompt that needs 2 clicks to go away (I understand you haven't removed it for this build, so I guess this is not much of a concern)
2. OAR addin menu in outlook (the menu next to "help") is empty after start-up (that is after outlook is already running in the background, after the error prompt)

Nonetheless, I tested in the same instance of outlook by sending a test message. It catches the words in subjects & body just fine. So functionally it's ok. It's a bit annoying that it gives a null menu that is of no use; and it'd be very preferable to have the prompt removed entirely, if it's not anything more than just a prompt.

P.S. I see that now you have a counter saying the number of matches in subject and body. There's a little bug: if I type 3 "attach" in the body (or likewise subject), it only says '1 match'; but if I type "attach" & "attachment", it says 2 matches. This is just FYI~
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 8:32 AM
Thanks for the observation. Could you tell me if the prompt you get is same prompt or is it the new prompt asking to restart the outlook? Secondly, the matches of words that you can be defined. This addin is coded such that each word is picked up from the OARWordlist and checked if its present. So if the word list has Attach, Attaching and Attachment and the body has attach, then only the first entry would match...hence the value 1. But if the body contains "Attachment", then you woulld see the count as two, since Attach also is a part of Attachment (that counts as 1) and Attachment fron list matches Attachment in the body (hence 2).

So esentially the count means how many number of words in the list, "is contained" in the body.
Mar 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM
Hi,

It's the same prompt : 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'

Actually, it has never asked me to restart outlook, not even in the first place. Killing outlook in taskmanager & then restart it is the way I work around the error, but I was never prompted to do so. So, no new prompt asking to restart outlook.

I prefer not having to kill the outlook background process, as that will kill my PDA sync.

P.S.: Thanks for the explanation of the word count logic. It indeed behave as the way you intended to implement. Is there an option to just show a total number of counts (or even hide it)? For all practical reason I don't quite need to know exactly where and how many word hits. The more the info/prompts, the more distracting a program may be prone to. Though, the option to have the counts is a neat feature, especially for those really conscious users.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 1:49 PM
That means, I haven't nailed down the complete issue :( . Let me give you a private build. There would be enough logging, to find which exact line is causing this issue.

As far as the showing count is concerned, someone requested hence I incorporated. To include or not in final builds would be a "business" decision depending on what majority of users suggest. But I have a great idea. Instead of a Standard Message Box, I will use the Vista Dialog box, where we can hide this extra information and only interested users can see the count information. The only downside is that people running XP wouldnt be able to use that feature. Hence in the code, I have to find the WIndows version and depending on that I would need to show the appropiate Message/Dialog box.
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM
Sure. I can try the private build for you. May I ask, I believe this plugin/macro is not going to mess with other outlook settings...is it true? I'd like to make sure as I rely on Outlook a lot.

^^I don't need the counts anyway, and I'm running XP. But I think it's a good option. Quite a number of people will go for Windows 7 when it hits the field I guess.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM
You are correct, with the current functionality, its not touching any portion of Outlook. Hence its safe. In future if I add advanced options (any may be multiple addins) it might be going deep into the outlook, but I will have the required informaation in the Release notes. As soon as I find time, I will get a private build for your
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM
Edited Mar 26, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

I will be out of town from tomorrow to Sunday. ^^But I'll get to test your build as soon as I get around to it - when I receive your build, of coz.
Mar 30, 2009 at 12:05 AM
Back to town. Ready anytime when your build is up.
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM
Sorry for not updating earlier, I am currently stuck in another project. Most likely this weekend I would have something for you..
Mar 31, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Certainly. Anytime you're ready.
Coordinator
Jul 5, 2009 at 7:44 AM
Hello Campion,

I have uploaded a new patched build in Patches Section (under Source Code). Please install and let me know if the issue occurs.

Its built on top of 0.9.9.2.

Regards,
gouravdas

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:51 AM, lkpcampion <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Certainly. Anytime you're ready.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (OAR@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email OAR@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com