Feature Request: Button labelled "Mail with Attachment"

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Hi, good idea this Outlook extension! I thought that it could be useful to include an additional feature:

Create a button for the Outlook GUI with (for example) the caption "Mail with Attachment". When the user creates a new mail message by clicking this button, a flag will be set indicating that an attachment must be included attached. When the BeforeSendMail event fires (if that exists in the VSTO API, I am not very much familiar with it), it will check that one or more attachments are included with the message. In case it fails, you can probably use the logic already in your code to handles the scenario. I am happy to write code for this if you're interested, just let me know.

Thanks,

Tim
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Hello Timmy,

Thanks a lot for trying this and suggesting this idea.

Couple of things here. Do you want to have a feature where if you enable the option, then it will check for each and every email for attachments and doesnt only check for specific words?

If that is what, then I can add this. Only problem is that this will add a slight overhead for each time a new mail is opened or created. This overhead is neglible if more people would be interested in this feature.

At this point, I think very few people send all emails with attachments. Due to this factor, I will keep this discussion thread open and wait for others to reply. If I get a good amount of people wanting this feature, I will move this to Work Item and start working on that to include this in the main product.

In the meanwhile, once I get a new laptop, I will create a patch for you, with this feature. :)

Regards,
Gourav Das

Note: This is open source, so everyone is allowed and encouraged to make changes. To suit ones needs. Make sure you go through the license once :).
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM
No worries there, no need to do a build-to-order patch just for me;-)

What I suggested is slightly different from what you describe. It would not be an option that can be turned on/off and then stored as a permanent user setting, that would indeed be too much overhead for the user.

Instead I would suggest to have an additional, to be created, button in the Outlook GUI with a caption "New Message with Attachment". Ideal location would be under the "New Message" item in the dropdown list that shows after clicking button labelled "New" (located at the top-left corner of the Outlook GUI). Clicking this button would simply create a new mail message. The only difference with the "normal" New Message button is that it additionally checks that a file is attached upon sending the mail (and for that specific message only, no persistence of that behaviour for the next email created in case the regular New Message button is clicked subsequently). Hope that this is more clear, my native language is not English.

The reason to suggest the feature is that it would make the open source product more feature complete:
-The current code enables for end-users continuous checking if an attachment is missing. However, the check may fail to give a warning in case no relevant words are hit in the message body or subject (i.e. "attached", "attachment, "enclosed" etc.)
-By implementing the suggested new feature, it is possible to guarantee that a warning will be given by creating a new mail message using an alternative button instead of the standard "New Message" button.

In any case, good luck with the project and the new laptop when its there!

Regards,
Tim
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:22 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:21 AM
This is completed. I would be uploading, once I test a few things :)
Jan 29, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Hi Gourav,

Apologies for the delay, the Chinese New Year festivities were in full effect here in Cambodia!

I have installed the latest version of the add-in, which worked flawlessly. Few comments though:

I think there should be a help sub-menu item on the main OAR menu with a simple description of how the text documents containing the key word list should be used. For me as a programmer it is easy to figure it out how it works, but that is not necessarily the case for a regular email user.

BTW The addin has so far saved me already twice from sending an email without having an attachment where one was required.

Cheers,

Tim

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.